METAR...The code designator for a routine meteorological aerodrome report.
Abbreviations found in METAR.|
INTENSITY: given only for all types of precipitation, blowing dust, sand or snow,
using following symbology
Symbol ' - ' indicates 'light' or 'slight'.
Symbol ' + ' indicates 'heavy' or 'severe'.
- BC = Patches
- BCFG = Patches of fog
- BL... = Blowing...
- +BLSN = Snowstorm, Blizzard
- BR. = Mist
- DR = Low drifting
- DS = Duststorm
- DU = Widespread Dust
- DZ = Drizzle
- FC = Funnel clouds
- +FC = Tornado or Water spout
- FG = Fog
- FU = Smoke
- FZ... = Freezing (supercooled)...
- GR = Hail (>5mm)
- GS = Small hail and/or Snow Pellets (soft hail <5mm)
- HZ = Haze
- IC = Ice crystals, Diamond Dust
- MI = Shallow
- MIFG = Shallow fog
- PL = Ice Pellets
- PO = Dust- or sand whirls
- +PO = Dust Devils (=well developed dust or sand whirls)
- PR = Partial
- PRFG = Fog covering part of AD
- PY = Sea Spray
- RA = Rain
- SA = Sand
- SG = Snow grains
- SH... = Showers of...
- SN = Snow
- SQ = Squalls
- SS = Sandstorm
- TS... = Thunderstorm with
- VA = Volcanic Ash
- VC... = In the Vicinity, i.e within 8 KM of the AD perimeter
The following conditions exist simultaneously:
- At least 10 KM or more.
- No operationally significant weather (no precipitation, thunderstorm, dust
or sandstorm, fog).
- No clouds below 5000FT, or no clouds below the highest MNM sector altitude,
whichever is higher, and no cumulonimbus clouds.
NSC=NO SIGNIFICANT CLOUDS
The following conditions exist simultaneously.
- No clouds below 5000FT, or
- No clouds below the highest MNM sector altitude, whichever is higher, and
- No cumulonimbus clouds.
CHANGE GROUPS IN TAF AND TREND
- Becoming, used where changes are expected to reach or pass through specified
values at a regular or irregular rate.
- Temporary, fluctuations of less than one hour and in aggregate less than
half the period indicated.
- Probability of, alternative prevailing conditions may occur during the period
indicated. Only 30 or 40 used indicating 30% or 40%.
- From, change starting from the time...UTC. All conditions given before the FM
are superseded by the new conditions given after FM.
- No significant change during the whole validity of the TREND forecast. Never
implies a forecast for RVR, temperature, devpoint and QNH.